Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Love/Hate

I've had a real love/hate relationship with this dragon scarf yarn so far. It's Jamieson's Double Knitting (DK), which is 100% shetland wool, and here's a picture of the various yarn colors that I'm using in the scarf:














They are (in no particular order): 236 Rosewood (MC), 587 Madder, 147 Moss, 1160 Scotch Broom, 230 Yellow Ochre, 259 Leprechaun, 478 Amber, 1190 Burnt Umber and 1200 Nutmeg. The solid colors are rich and true, while the "heathered" colors have very interesting color play and knit up to form beautiful sections. And the yarn so far has been very even in weight with no knots (I hate that).

If you work with this yarn you'll find that it's a little scratchy, which may be typical of Shetland wool, don't know as this is my first time working with it. During the color work of the dragon, the yarn had a tendency to stick together, which was painfully annoying when I had 16 color strands sticking out from my work and trying to cross them without getting a knot. I was constantly stopping to sort out the colors, and could only work at my kitchen table due to the very slippery surface.

But looking back, that stickyness is probably is why the color section holds together with no gaps between color changes. Working with the solid main color, it's been fine to work with and I haven't had any issues. Hopefully you can see from the second photo what I mean about the varigated heather color!


































I also have a love/hate (well, hate is much too strong a word - more like love/pull my hair out in exasperation) relationship with my cat at times. This morning I woke up to find that he had been keeping himself occupied during the night. This is the bag that holds the unused Jamieson's DK yarn:














Do you see it? Those white flecks around the top and the odd crinkly texture to the handles are tooth marks. Last night that bag was untouched; this morning, it looks like he tried to needle felt the yarn through the bag with his teeth. This is the same bag that's been sitting unscathed on a desk in the office for weeks. Overnight it becomes kitty kibble. I just don't get it...

No comments:

Post a Comment