Tuesday, July 13, 2010

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

As you know from my last post, I've started working on the Star Motif Sweater from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2009. Yes, I correctly called it the "Star" motif, not "Snowflake" sweater like my last post. Although in my defense, it does look like a snowflake. Well, the reason for this post title, is that I've been suffering through a series of knitting snafus trying to finish the first diamond piece.

Apparently I've lost all ability to correctly read a chart. Well, it's really more accurate to say that I suffered through a period of probably 20-30 rows that I could not get my count to come out right. Like all lace I've ever worked, all WS rows are purled. Naturally I didn't notice my mistakes on a RS row until I was nearly done with the next RS row and I found I didn't have the correct number of remaining stitches to finish the row. I didn't bother using a life line because it was readily apparent within two RS rows if I had messed up.

You'd think after doing this for 5 or 10 rows that I'd realize my approach wasn't working. Either I need to focus more (e.g. no knitting while watching TV) or I needed to count my stitches after the end of a RS row. Nah...why would I want to do something intelligent like that??? Amazingly, the lace knitting is going so much better now that I have pulled my head out of my...eh...never mind.

On a completely different note, I've been spending some free time these past several days classifying patterns at Ravelry. When I viewed my checklist tonight, I see that they have it closed down temporarily. Hopefully you were able to get in on the classifying goodness (geesh - sound like my brother the librarian) and that we all win one of the amazing prizes!

1 comment: